Commanding Officers

dd27sm.jpg (47506 bytes)

History of Ship
LCDR Robert Lawrence Berry 15 Dec 1910 - 4 Jul 1911
LCDR Frank Robert McCrary 4 Jul 1911 -  ? 1913

  (open Source)

LTJG Harry Booth Hird ? 1913 - ? Naval Historical Center Photos
LT Thomas Leigh Gatch May 1919 - Junel 1919
    (Use your browser's back arrow to return to this page)

The first Sterett, DD-27 (1910 -1919)

The first USS Sterett was a three stack, modified Paulding class destroyer, often referred to as "flivvers".

Builder - Fore River Shipbuilding Company,  Fore River Shipyard,  Quincy, MA

Listed as Hull No. 176 in yard's early production history

 Haze Gray Listing

Keel laid down 22-Mar-1909    
Launched 12-May-1910  Read local news coverage at time of the Christening

 Christening Centennial

Commissioned 15-Dec-1910    
Decommissioned 9-Dec-1919    
Stricken on 8-Mar-1935.    
 
She was 293 feet long with a 26 foot beam and 16 foot draft. DD-27 displaced 742 tons. Her oil-fired 12,000 shp (shaft horse power) power plant consisted of four boilers driving twin screws via steam turbines. STERETT had a top speed of 29.5 knots and carried a crew of four officers and 82 enlisted men.  STERETT was armed with five three-inch guns, three .50 caliber machine guns and six 18-inch torpedo tubes. Her distinctive three funnels distinguished her from the rest of the four funnel destroyers of the time. 
 

Home ] Up ]