USS Sterett DD-407 Ship Information

   
Early 1943 - location unknown

 

 History of the Ship

 

 Naval Historical Center Photos

 (Use your browser's back arrow to return to this page).

 

Sterett DD-407 was one of ten ships of the Benham class, the last of the 1500 ton destroyer classes. The class was a Gibbs and Cox design and the ten ships were constructed at six different shipyards, the Sterett being the only one built at the Charleston Navy Yard. Her keel was laid on December 2, 1936 and she was launched on October 27, 1938. Commissioning was August 15, 1939 with Lt. Cdr. Atherton Macondray her first C.O.

She had a length of 341 feet, a beam of 35 feet 6 inches and a mean draft of 11 feet. The three Babcock and Wilcox boilers had uptakes leading to a single stack and powered Westinghouse steam turbines developing 50,000 shaft horsepower for the two screws. With a 483 ton fuel oil capacity she had a cruising range of 8,730 nautical miles at 12 knots.

The original main battery configuration was four 5"/38 dual purpose guns in the new base ring mounts (vs. pedestal mounts) with the forward mounts in gunhouses and the after open mounts. Sixteen torpedo tubes in four quad mounts were amidships, two on each side. The torpedos were the 21" Mk15 and could be used for surface contacts only. The anti-aircraft battery consisted of four .50 caliber Browning machine guns arranged with two forward of the bridge and two atop the after deckhouse. The anti-submarine battery was two roll-off depth-charge racks mounted on the fantail with a complement of five 600 pound charges each.

Her initial complement was 175 crew and nine officers.

At war’s end her complement was 235 crew and 16 officers.


Copyright 1999 - USS Sterett Association - Last updated > by webmaster@sterett.org

Home Up DD-407 History